Thursday 3 July 2014

What I'm Really Thinking, The Life Model

If anyone has ever been curious, here's one life model's perspective from the Guardian's excellent mini column (click on picture to go to their website). 

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/08/what-really-thinking-life-model



I don't actually enjoy having a crowd of people scrutinise my body. I'm not an attention seeker or an exhibitionist. I'm actually painfully shy. The reason I decided to become a life model was to challenge myself; I find it hard to talk to people, but not so hard stripping off in front of them.

I'd hate to know anyone in my class and I'm glad I've never been recognised outside it. Rule number one is don't think about sex – if my mind starts going in that direction, I think about Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day (something I learned from Austin Powers). I try not to make eye contact with the artists. Initially I couldn't get past the fact I was naked, but now I don't bat an eyelid and end up thinking about the weather or compiling a shopping list. Of course I worry about how my manhood looks, but I could never glance down to check.

The time drags on. My muscles begin to ache and sometimes I lose sensation in my limbs. Sometimes the urge to move feels overwhelming. It's like my muscles are burning with the strain of holding still. I really have to focus. No one wants a wobbly life model. I love seeing what the pictures look like at the end, and I take photos of the best ones.
Students are surprised when I get dressed at the end and put on my suit – I'm a charted management accountant during the day. You might find that strange, but when you spend all day looking at figures, sometimes it's good just to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment