Friday 27 March 2015

RCA Secret 2015

So I went along to the Secret postcards show at the Royal College of Art a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time for me as the RCA is not easy to get to in rush hour.

It was a little overwhelming to see around 3000 postcards perched on thin bits of wood mounted on the gallery walls. The most common format was hand painted, photographic (not popular with buyer I overheard), drawings and all types of prints. There were also plenty of unconventional formats such as sculpture, metal plates, 3D photo, embroidery, poured resin, tape and even a tiny camera obscura (my favourite). 

Although it was fun to speculate the potential famous artists responsible for some pieces, I really enjoyed seeing how diverse the artists' responses to a fairly simple and restrained format of the once ubiquitous but now almost extinct postcard. Good stuff.

If you want to find out who did what, click here











No comments:

Post a Comment